2018-19 Theme: An Exchange of Gifts
The Aquinas Center does themed years to offer a chance to explore a dimension of the Catholic faith in depth.
The theme for the 2018-2019 academic year is An Exchange of Gifts: An Interfaith Dialogue.
The Path of Ecumenical and Interfaith Dialogue
Since the declaration, Nostra Aetate at Vatican II on the relation of the Church to other religions, Roman Catholicism has sought to reach out to other faiths in the task of "promoting unity and love". Thus, she has sought out those things we share in common as human beings in "a spirit of charity and fellowship".
The Church also recognizes the common search of religious traditions to the great questions:
- What is a human being?
- What is the meaning, the aim of our life?
- How do we promote social, political, and environmental justice?
- Which is the road to true happiness?
- What is death and life after death?
- What, finally, is that ultimate inexpressible mystery which encompasses our existence: whence do we come, and where are we going?
Aquinas Center Events for 2018-2019
In the spirit of Nostra Aetate, the Aquinas Center seeks a year of an exchange of gifts. We will facilitate an active and open dialogue with other faith traditions to seek paths of greater fellowship, charity, understanding, and justice.
This exchange of gifts will include the following events:
- Vatican II Declaration on the Relation of Church to Non-Christian Religions (Nostra Aetate)
- Quotes from Church Teachings on Interfaith and Ecumenical Relations
- Church Documents and Sources on Ecumenical Relations
- Between Jerusalem and Rome Reflections on 50 Years of Nostra Aetate
- Ravenna Document on Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity
- Pope Francis at Interfaith Prayer Summit at Assisi (Short video)